University of Nebraska Acoustical Society of America (UNASA) Student Chapter:Welcome to the UNASA Student Chapter website! We were the first ASA student chapter established, thanks to Dr. Erica Bowden Ryherd's efforts. Our student chapter brings the exciting world of acoustics into the University of Nebraska community. Chapter meetings focus on topics from many areas of acoustics, usually incorporating demonstrations, interactive activities, and presentations of scholarly work. Of course, there will always be plenty of food and fun!
The Acoustical Society of America (ASA) is a world-renowned scientific society in acoustics, dedicated to increasing and diffusing knowledge of acoustics and its practical applications. The Society is extremely interdisciplinary, covering thirteen sub-areas in the field of acoustics:
- Acoustical Oceanography
- Animal Bioacoustics
- Architectural Acoustics
- Biomedical Ultrasound/ Bioresponse to Vibration
- Engineering Acoustics
- Musical Acoustics
- Physical Acoustics
- Psychological and Physiological Acoustics
- Signal Processing in Acoustics
- Speech Communication
- Structural Acoustics and Vibration
- Underwater Acoustics
UNASA Student Chapter Officers:The officers for January - December 2010 are listed below. Elections take place every December, so be sure to contact the current president if you are interested in becoming an officer for the following year!
|Treasurer||Zhao Ellen Peng|
|Faculty Advisor||Dr. Lily Wang|
Join the UNASA Student Chapter - it's FREE!We always welcome new members to join our group. Our goal as a student organization is to have general meetings every month or two during the academic year. Membership to the student group is free and all meetings have food and beverages provided. You do not need to be a student member of the national ASA to join UNASA Student Chapter. If you have more questions about the student chapter here at the University of Nebraska please feel free to contact any of the officers.
Examples of Past Events:
- ROOM ACOUSTICS - STRAUSS RECITAL HALL (2005)
- Concert Hall acoustics learning session at on-campus recital hall
- ANIMAL BIOACOUSTICS - TIGER ROARS (2005)
- Dr. Ed Walsh discussed his research on tiger vocalizations at Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo
- ELECTRO-ACOUSTICS - CAR STEREO COMPETITION (2008)
- More than 80 students gathered to watch 10 contenders compete for prizes and bragging rights as their stereos were judged by professional acousticians and spectators
- ISU ACOUSTICS LAB AND VR SUITE VISIT (2008)
- The student chapter took a road trip to Ames, Iowa, to visit Iowa State University's facilities, spending time in an anechoic chamber, a virtual reality cube, and a 3D force-feedback simulation.
- ACOUSTIC ANALYSIS DEMONSTRATION (2009)
- Graduate students from the Architectural Acoustics program at UNO demonstrated software and hardware used by professionals to perform acoustic analysis in the field
- MASTERING STUDIO TOUR (2009)
- Doug Van Sloun, owner of Focus Mastering, hosted a tour of his studio and explained the role of mastering in the music production process
- CAR STEREO COMPETITION (2009)
- 2009's car stereo competition saw more than half a dozen student competitors, more than 70 spectators, and two noise complaints from surrounding neighborhoods. Local companies StereoWest AutoToys and Metro Audio Dynamics joined in the fun in the open division.
- HOLLAND CENTER TOUR (2009)
- Students from the University of Nebraska at Omaha were treated to a complete behind-the-scenes tour of Omaha's world-class recital and performance hall, the Holland Center.
• ASA Student Council www.acosoc.org/student
• University of Nebraska Acoustics Research Group www.ae.unl.edu/acoustics
• Concert Hall Acoustics www.concerthalls.org
• BYU ASA Student Chapter
• University of Hartford ASA Student Chapter
• University of Kansas ASA Student Chapter